HISTORY & MISSION STATEMENT

our HISTORY & MISSION STATEMENT


We pledge to offer world-class pianos at the best possible price and value
— backed by our Five-star Full Lifetime Trade-up Policy —
and to earn the loyalty, support, and lifelong friendship of our valued customers.

The “New” Mattlin-Hyde Piano Company Legacy is honored by the renewed commitment from the current staff to continue the quality reputation of the founding fathers of the original company: Moses “M.O.” Mattlin; Bill Mattlin; Charles Hyde; Bob Hyde and David Joseph. The oldest and most trusted name for Pianos in Cleveland for generations and the last 100 + years. In this tradition, we offer you the best possible selection, price and value on all new, vintage and used pianos found anywhere in the region.


Our History

Founded in 1909, Moses O. Mattlin opened the Home Piano Company on Euclid Ave in Cleveland selling quality New & Used pianos. The business prospered. By 1920 M.O.Mattlin became the exclusive Wm Knabe & Co Piano representative for Cleveland. By 1922, with acquiring the Ampico player piano line he changed the name of the company to AMPICO HALL AND KNABE WAREROOM. In 1932 the also became the Mason & Hamlin Dealer. Moses’ Son, William “Bill” Mattlin, joined the company after his service during WWII to become President of the now M.O. Mattlin Piano company. Meanwhile in 1943 Charles Hyde opened the Hyde Piano Company on Huron Rd in Cleveland. By the 1950’s Charles gave way to his son Robert Hyde as they moved across the street on Euclid Ave from the Mattlin’s. Bob Hyde eventually became the Baldwin Piano Dealer. In 1967 The Mattlin Piano Company became the first Yamaha Piano dealer in Cleveland. Later that year David Joseph opened his “Music Gallery” Wurlitzer Piano & Organ showroom at 5109 Mayfield Rd. in Lyndhurst. In 1969 Bill Mattlin & Bob Hyde merged to create the Mattlin-Hyde Piano Co. By 1971 all three entrepreneurs shook hands and merged their resources when Mattlin-Hyde acquired the Music Gallery. By 1996 all three piano men, coming to the end of their careers, agreed to sell their business to an Akron area organ & piano dealer. The new Akron owner proceeded to operate under the name of his Akron Company and eventually abandoning the Mattlin-Hyde Piano Company name and legacy. Former salespeople having worked with Bill Mattlin before he retired, recognized the powerful reputation of the name and have now resurrected the Mattlin-Hyde Piano Company. In 2016 the “NEW” Mattlin Hyde Piano company has returned to the original company quality selling practices and philosophies by offering the best possible selection, price and value on all new, vintage and used pianos found anywhere in the region.

Let us give you an overview of the unique Mattlin-Hyde/Classic Pianos of Greater Cleveland and the most experienced Sales & Service support team in the region. Our local team of piano professionals, all having worked our entire careers in Northern Ohio and Western Pennsylvania piano stores for as long as 45 years are proud to now be partnered under the “New” Mattlin-Hyde Piano Company tradition and this quality organization. In a few words, we try very hard to make all of our customers feel comfortable in their journey to select that special instrument that's just right for their child, home, school, or church.